Newark, New Jersey
Whether you are a life-long resident of Newark starting a new business or writing a will, or a newly arrived foreign national setting up your new life, there is nothing as valuable as having a one-stop advisor who can handle all of your legal matters in a thorough, honest and professional manner. At Law Office of Samuel C Berger, we pride ourselves on our connections to the Newark community and our understanding of what you need. As your Newark lawyer, we can represent you in all of these areas:Business Law
Newark, in Essex County, is New Jersey's largest city, so it is no surprise that new businesses are constantly opening, merging, and closing here. Whether you are starting a new business, growing an existing one, or closing your company, Samuel C Berger, Attorney at Law can serve you at every step of the way.
Starting a business is a dream within reach for more people today than ever before in the United States, Newark included. In an environment that encourages innovation and experimentation, and where funding comes from an increasingly creative mix of sources, people who never thought of themselves as entrepreneurs are now going into business. It continues to be imperative, however, to build a new business on solid legal footing, and to make intelligent choices at the outset about what kind of legal entity to set up, how to write organizational documents such as shareholder, LLC membership and partnership agreements, and how to be taxed.
- Buying and Selling Business
- Contracts, Agreements, and Leases
- Shareholder and Partnership Agreements
- Employee Agreements and hiring foreign nationals
- Non-compete and Nondisclosure agreements
- Licensing Agreements
- Termination agreements
- ABC Licenses (alcoholic beverage control)
- Liqueur licenses buy sell transfer
Newark has a population of almost 280,000, and if you are foreign national looking to join that number, either temporarily or permanently, you may be looking to obtain one or more of the following for yourself and your family members.
- Immigrant visas, permanent residence, Green Card
- Waivers, removal of condition, temporary Green Card
- Employment-based visas such as EB1, EB2, EB3, or EB5
- Non-immigrant visas
- Investor E-2 visa
- Work visas such as H-1B, H-1B1, or E-3
- Intra-company visas including L-1, L-1A, L-1B
- Fiancé K-1 visa
- Adjustment of status
- Court proceedings involving removal, deportation, and immigration violations
A question frequently raised by immigrants in Newark is whether they are entitled to public healthcare through Medicaid. States have wide latitude to decide what benefits to grant immigrants within its border, and New Jersey is one that generally follows the federal system when it comes to public benefits. As for Medicaid specifically, permanent residents in New Jersey are eligible for assistance only in their sixth year of holding this status. Some exceptions apply to "qualified aliens" including refugees and asylees.Real Estate
Whether you are buying, selling, developing, renting or leasing personal, commercial or industrial property in Newark, Lawyer Samuel C Berger can help you navigate the ins and outs of the entire transaction. The best way to avoid litigation involving real estate is to enter into airtight, carefully planned and worded agreements. Moreover, it is important to remember that under New Jersey law, landlord-tenant disputes that end up in eviction don't necessarily end after the tenant has moved out. New Jersey law holds that if a tenant leaves some property behind, the landlord cannot dispose of it without a written statement from the tenant, or the execution of a judgment for possession and a warrant for removing the tenant.
- Planning Board applications
- Buying and selling
- Lease disputes
We know that things don't always go according to plan, and you might find yourself needing representation before one of Newark's administrative bodies or courts. Samuel C Berger PC can handle your mediation, settlement and litigation matters at any stage of the proceeding.
- Commercial Disputes
- Court cases collections
- Family matters including divorce and non-contested child support calculations
- Financial asset evaluation before during divorce
- Property settlement agreements
- Non-compete agreement violations
- Partnership shareholder disputes
Perhaps you are planning to retire in Newark and are ready to write your will, or maybe you are involved in a dispute with the IRS. Attorney Samuel C. Berger has deep expertise in a variety of commercial and personal tax and estates matters. A recent development affecting the Newark artist community is the declaration by the US Tax Court that some artists may deduct certain losses on their income tax return even if they are not highly profitable in their enterprise. While this was welcome news by many artists, the determination is highly specific and must be made case-by-case in close consultation with the law.
- Wills, powers of attorney, trusts
- Estate planning
- Business succession planning
- Tax court proceedings
- IRS disputes
- New Jersey payroll audits
- Department of labor audits
- Sales tax audits
- Worker's compensation audits
- Corporate, partnership, and individual tax returns